Patrilineage for Hammond Participant # 232866
“John” Haman/Hamann/Hamman/Hammond Sr. , born ~1720s in Germany or Alsace, first found in 1749 at the Zion Lutheran Church in Oldwick, Hunterdon Co., NJ. Based on deeds
records, he likely was married to “Eve”. He signs his last name “Haman” in NJ. Based on deeds, he likely moved to Woodsboro,
Frederick Co., MD, where he and his family (name mostly spelled “Hamann”) show up in the St. Peter’s Lutheran Church records
from late 1760s until around 1780, when they move to Rockingham Co., VA (name
spelled Hamann and Hamman). Moves to Wilkes Co., GA,
in around 1784. He shows up in Wilkes County tax records (mostly as John Hamman/Hammond Sr.) until1793 when he
2) Johannes “John” Hamann/Hamman/Hammond
Jr., born ~1749, in either Germany or New Jersey. Records of
him are found in 1770s of Woodsboro, MD, 1780s Rockingham Co., VA, and 1790s Wilkes Co., GA. He ("Johan Hamann,
son of Johannes") was confirmed at the St. Peter's Lutheran Church on 24 Sep 1769, at the age of 20 yrs old. Also
confirmed that day was an Anthon Hamann, aged 18 yrs
old, also a son of Johannes Hamann Sr.; John Hammond
Jr. died in ~ January 1821 of Wilkes Co., Alabama, where he left the bulk of his estate to his son
Abraham. John Hammond Jr. married
Barbara Ann Aylor/Oehler (1762-1827), most likely in
about 1782 or 1783 of Rockingham Co., Virginia.
3) John Hammonds (“the 3rd”), born ~1789, Wilkes Co., Georgia; died 21-May-1874, Talladega Co., Alabama; he married Hannah Dodson (1799-1862) on 19-Aug-1818 in Jasper Co., Georgia. They are buried in the Rocky Mountain Cemetery in Clay County.
4) Thomas G. Hammond, born 21-Jul-1841, Cherokee Co., Alabama;
died 14-Jul-1917, Millerville, Clay Co., Alabama. He married Mary Elizabeth Machen
on 8-Dec-1858, in Alabama.
5) William Alonzo “Lon” Hammond, born Jan 1872, Alabama; died 30-May-1960,
Goodwater, Clay Co., Alabama;
he married Ella J. Hammons (1877-1963) on 25-Sep-1893 in Clay Co., Alabama and
her parents were Jerome Hammons and Sarah Bynum. Jerome Hammons was born 12-Feb-1855, Clay
Co., AL and died 2-Sep-1931, in Talladega, AL; according to his death record,
Jerome’s parents were George Hammonds and Lavina
Goodman, both born in GA, but I’ve discovered no other trace of them in any
records; interestingly, Jerome was living with John and Hannah Dodson Hammonds
in the 1860 Census!
6) John Clarence Hammond, b. 21-Nov-1898, Clay Co., Alabama; died 31-Oct-1978, Ashland, Alabama; he married Maudine McMichael (1913-1993) on 17-Oct-1936 in Millerville, Clay Co., Alabama.
7) Hammond Participant 232866